Member Login

Preserving the Beauty of the Past

The historic site on which The Club was founded includes the Hayfields Mansion and five additional historic buildings all predating 1800. The first of the stone buildings was erected on the property in 1790’s. The property mainly served as a premium farm, with an emphasis on raising Timothy Hay, hence the name Hayfields. The farm was also credited with bringing first Hereford cattle to Maryland in the 1840’s with farm operations continuing through the mid-1900’s.
In 1986, the property was purchased by the Mangione family. The restoration of Hayfields began in 1995 over a period of three years in which the buildings were restored to enhance their charm and beauty. In 1998, Hayfields Country Club was established.
The original Mansion serves as the main Clubhouse. The remaining historic outbuilding have been renovated into The Redwood Grill, Pro Shop, Sales Office and Course Maintenance Facility.
An unrivaled sense of peace is always present on the property. This unique parcel of land takes on its present-day role as a country club while preserving the original buildings and protecting the natural beauty of original farmland.



The first of several stone buildings is erected at Hayfields.  This building still stands today and serves as the Sales Cottage.


The limestone mansion, over a period of eight years, was built by Colonel Nicholas Merryman Bosley.  Colonel Bosley's ancestors came from Herefordshire, England to Maryland before 1650.


Hayfields won first place in the Maryland Agricultural Society's contest for "premium farm".  At the annual cattle show ceremonies, Bosley was awarded a silver tankard from the great French General, The marquis de Lafayette.  Bosley's emphasis was on raising Timothy Hay - hence its name, Hayfields.


John Merryman inherited the farm from his uncle and is credited with bringing the first Hereford cattle to Maryland.


John Merryman was 1st Lieutenant in the Baltimore County Horse Guards during the Civil War and under orders burned the Northern Central Railroad (NCR) bridges between Cockeysville and Parkton to prevent Union troops from being brought to Baltimore.  His imprisonment led to Chief Justice Taney's masterful "ex-parte Merryman".


 John Merryman was elected treasurer of Maryland in 1870 and "assisted materially in the pushing forward of the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad".  He also was elected to the Maryland House of Delegates in 1874.


John Merryman died and his children took over management of the farm.


Hayfields was purchased by General John Franklin, a cousin to the Merryman's.  Franklin and his wife refurnished the L-shaped 1 1/2 story Federal-style house while the farm operation continued under Nicholas B. Merryman.


Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas B. Mangione and family purchased the property.


Restoration of Hayfields property begins.


Hayfields Country Club is established.


Hayfields at the Library of Congress